Thursday, March 4, 2010

Metalica

The name of the bar I found just around the corner from work, a super dull neighb by day, a computer district with place after place selling nearly identical shit. But at night, a half dozen cafes, a couple of enticing restaurants and the place I'm in which is rocking out transform the area.

Ok, rocking out might not be the right term, the band was doing "how deep is your love" when I walked in. but now their doing their better material, grunge era stuff like "can u take me higher" by Creed, Alice in Chains and the like.

They don't have Carlsberg Beer I ordered, and I hate to order the Mexican or American imports they serve for top dollar, so I go for their signature cocktail, expecting something with more balls, but I'm disapointed again. The martini glass is adorned with a marachino cherry, and the drink captures the medicinal flavor as well as chalky consistency of kaopectate. Yummy. Price of this must to avoid cocktail is 88,000, or as i often use to guage cost, the same cost as a sushi dinner.

The cute asian front girls nail J.LO's "lets get loud", but the keyboard sounds more like the accordion from our elementary schools music teacher, Michael Berle. Band speaks English perfectly, tho with a certain accent I can't place, prolly from the Philippines or Singapore. Dressed in short shorts and metalic boots, they are nice eye candy and the place starts to fill. But other than a single mixed table, it's all dudes, making this place which already takes it's decor tips from stripper bars, with its all black/grey decor (hides stains) look even more like a place where change is given in singles. just install a brass pole.

A ten minute drum solo is prolly not what u expect in the middle of "rolling on the river", but they deliver a dubble portion of ear shattering percussion. Bon jovies "it's my life" follows. A fave at clubs, the type of song that DJs will switch off the volume and get huge audience participation. Not even near my top 10, but at least it's not "po-po-po-popoker face". Who the fuck is Lady Gaga, and more importantly, why do chicks have the absolute WORST taste in music! Most annoying song on the airwaves since Rihannas "my umbrella"

So this is going to make me sound like a geezer, but I sware the volume they're covering Tina Turner at is doing irreperable damage to my eardrums, and rattling some of my internal organs. Wonder if u can even get earplugs in this country. Today, I watched a shirtless man prying at the rebar holding the tiny cement ledge he was standing on. He was only on the 2nd floor so the fall probably wouldn't kill him, but safety is not a major preocupation.

Bands taking a break and I'm relieved momentarily, but then Modannas "like a prayer" super remix, with added bone shakin' bass comes on. Shit, just when I thought Id check if the blood running out of my ears was of any concern. I am forced to stop tapping on the phone keyboard and literally put my fingers in my ears. Just as I make it to the door, they start to belt out a reasonably believable Cocaine by Clapton. It's definitely hit and miss here, with a range as wide as a karaoke club, spanning the full range between Janice Joplin and Dolly Parton. And like the popular Asian pastime, the more you drink, the better it starts to sound.

4 comments:

  1. Check out Le Pub. I used to really like the place. I heard they were moving to a new location though. Can't be hard track them down. Highway No. 4 can be fun too, especially if you are into better snake wine and animals you didn't consider eating in the past.

    Cheers,
    Andrei.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I sang Like a Prayer at a karaoke bar here my first week here... well actually I danced in the background while my friends rocked out on the mic... not my cup of tea but i can see why its a karaoke favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks andrei, im in there once in a while. tonight tho, the place to go is probably vascos. no cover, but beers cost about the same as what they would in the states. whats good about this place is its a mix of locals and westerners, while lepub is completely expat. i also try to avoid spending too much time in pham ngu lao. while its convenient for lots of travel related stuff, its also where you get hit on by countless hookers, have top turn down hundreds of offers for weed, and get to watch 6 year old girls selling gum and cigarettes at 2 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jenny,

    i dont mind like a prayer. actually, it was a friend, david dupres in vancouver that showed me how you could turn "like a virgin" badass. i wish i could pull off karaoke like that. i usually suffer my turn and am relieved when its over. somehow, ive even managed to not go the entire time ive been in asia.

    ReplyDelete