Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sushi dinner for a fiver


Strange concept, unemployed, but have full time housekeeper who do your wash, clean the house, prepare meals if you ask. Handed her the one belt I had which was totally gross smelling, mildewy from many swims and then never a proper drying to see if she could save the thing. In the meantime, to keep my shorts from falling off my ass, and to give myself some kind of attainable goal for the day, i go on a shopping adventure, and find that unlike stores in the states that wont do shit for you, anyone who sells a leather product has some basic tools and the skills to make adjustments. In a few minutes, the shop im at removes the buckle of a something i picked out, cut a couple of inches off, punch a some extra holes, and voilĂ , a custom fit. Try doing that at the GAP.

Most kiosks are selling the same shit, knock offs of calvin klien, levis, whatever. You will find sunglasses with the mercedes benz logo on it. Only one kiosk sells something highly original: crazy patterned underwear named Pull-In (as opposed to pull-out?) Super fun, might have been a good sexy valentines day gift if I knew anyone who would let me see them in their panties. But the price is something impossibly stupid, about the cost of 8 sushi dinners!

The street curves following coastline, across from which is a huge construction site on a AAA prime location. Someone told me that the Vietnamese are like the Chinese and Jews. Communists, sure, but they sure know how to turn a buck. While the rest of the world is still suffering a bad hangover, their economy grew 6%. The ground has yet to be broken, but surely, a beautiful glass tower with unbelievable futuristic architecture and unbeatable river views will soon sprout in this location. The little winding streets in which I live will be lucky to stick around.

Down an alley are a bunch of cafes, an ad agency or two judging from the cool logos and The Cage, a cheesy looking club the likes of which I'd never attend at home, but am highly curious about here. The street dead ends into a super trendy looking Sushi Bar. It's 11:01 when I walk past, just a minute after the doors have opened, like some crazed bargain shopper on black Friday waiting at the front gate to snap up some of the door buster deals. A little early for sushi, normally, but I've eaten fish/rice for brekky every day for a couple of months, so it's not a huge stretch. The prices are very enticing. Beautifully presented raw fish for just 90,000 dong,

1 comment:

  1. Dong? Really? Their currency is DONG? I would gladly give eight dong for a sushi dinner. But I only have one! Ha! Get my subtle and classy humor?

    ReplyDelete