Tuesday, December 15, 2009

leaving civilized world for 3rd world


Another 5 hours hurtling through space in a modified school bus outfitted with rocket boosters that we have somehow convinced ourselves is totally ordinary, and hardly anyone even thinks to put down the in flight mag to witness the miracle and absurdity of aviation. Arrived in Cambodia in one piece, relieved that I can do all future trips round Asia over land or water. Statistically less safe, but despite my love of a world adventure, I am no fun to fly with even after 3 vodka tonics.

As soon as the door is opened and whats left of the conditioned air slips out into the atmosphere, u r immediately aware of how Sticky hot it is. Close to midnight in the best time of year to be here (unplanned to be sure) but if ur not wearing a wife beater and flip-flops u soak thru ur clothes. instantly.

A tuk-tuk driver takes me and my ridiculous bag that weighs in at 18 kilos to the CS hosts house. He lives on the top floor of a walk-up. At least 7 flights, and the stairs are both narrower and steeper than what were accustomed to.

They r gay, Filipino, and have been living here for about a year. We get some beers and shoot the breeze while they give new meaning to chain-smoking. Cheap cigs are 30 cents a pack. They must go thru a dollars worth during our getting to know u. I asked if there's a sizable gay community and the more sarcastic one says, yes, there's ten of us.

One sells ad space on billboards, the other transcribes as well as other odd jobs. We watch starsky and hutch, then a rerun of letterman before I fall asleep. I remind them that im into women but Nod assures me that he won't bite unless I ask him to. CS people are a good bet, and I trust him. Not like I have much of a choice at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment