Friday, January 15, 2010

life in sihanoukville






its the day prior to new years, and a cutie who has just checked into the same place tells me shes been looking for a hours, so i feel OK about my choice. Kay looks like the girl next door version of scarlett johanson from her early films, improved slightly with an english accent. I hope to run into her again and I do about a week later when she’s checking out. She said it was a quiet new years with her boyfriend, and that they were in well before midnite. Jeez, when did traveling become such a byo type of affair?

My plan from the get-go was to slack all thru xmas and new years, then hightail it over to Saigon right after the new year. on jan 2, I packed my things and left em at the front desk, telling them I’d be back a little later. No need for my heavy pack, with highly inappropriate winter coat purchased for travel in Scandinavia and equally unnecessary doc marten boots strapped to the outside, or my laptop or the mess of power chargers since i was just traveling a few kilometers up the road to check out a beach i heard was pretty before leaving. 5 days later I returned from the peaceful, secluded section of a beach called Otres. Wearing the same clothes somehow doesnt feel so bad, when everybody else does the same. You may not smell especially fresh, but its super easy to recognize people youve met when they remain in the same getup.

Little thatched huts cost $6-10. theres no electricity so the lights run for a few hours off generators, the hum somewhat concealed by the sound of the ocean. By ten, most places go dark, other than joints run by the french or english who keep their bars open much later, since they themselves are always drinking at them along with many of their own countrymen.

This too is something of a couples paradise, nothing to do but lie in hammocks, feast on barbecued fresh catch for about $4 and screw. Traveling solo, I get to experience 2 of the 3 which is really not a bad percentage, only skewed wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment